Aller au contenu. | Aller à la navigation

Navigation

Navigation
Menu de navigation
Vous êtes ici : Accueil / Loisirs / Archives / Tourism / Castle Seneffe / Castle Seneffe
Actions sur le document

Castle Seneffe

Built between 1763 and 1768 by architect Laurent Benoît Julien Dewez for Depestre businessman Rich became Earl of Seneffe and Turnhout in 1767, this building is a jewel that now houses the Museum of the Silversmiths French Community of Belgium.

The front of home, neo-classical was built in bluestone and Feluy Ecaussinnes. It is flanked by two long galleries with Palladian Ionic columns, which contain statues and vases carved by the ancient Tamine Lawrence, respectively, and lead to a chapel and a concierge.

The courtyard is enclosed by a wrought iron gate that bears against two bases bearing lions carved by Dubois.

The small theater, a perfect example of neo-Palladian architecture in the second half of the eighteenth century hosts concerts, plays and exhibitions. The Orangery, previously used to house the orange trees adorning the courtyard and the area around the castle during the summer, now serves as concert hall, seminar, conference or reception.

The "three garden terraces" extends from the gallery right at the wall of the property. The park, built in part to the French and partly in English, covers 22 hectares and includes a large central basin and a pond adorned with a romantic island that is reached through an arched gateway wrought iron.

 
tetiere2.jpg