Outils personnels

Aller au contenu. | Aller à la navigation

Navigation

Navigation
Menu de navigation
Vous êtes ici : Accueil / Loisirs / Archives / Tourism / History / Local life / Philippe-Joseph Parmentier / Philippe-Joseph Parmentier

Philippe-Joseph Parmentier

By virtue of its many quarrying operations, Feluy has been a land of sculptors. Let us cite, among others, Philippe-Joseph Parmentier, son of Marie-Madeleine Romiens and Anthoine-Joseph Parmentier. He was born in Feluy on February 6, 1784. Another source mentions the date of November 15, 1787; the civil registry of the time was not as trustworthy as the one that we know today. His father, a decorative sculptor, passed down to him the notions of his art. Later, he studied sculpture at l’Académie de Paris under the direction of the famous professors Bosio and Bridon. He then undertook a trip to Italy to study the masterpieces of Antiquity.
At the Brussels Salon of 1818, he presented an Anacreon, a stone statue. This work was presented at the competition of the Society for the Encouragement of the Fine Arts. But the artist could not be rewarded; the closing date for registrations had already passed. In compensation, the Society bought the work from him.
This statue was then offered to the Royal Fine Arts Society of Ghent, which awarded Parmentier with a medal of honor.
He then created a Bather in white marble acquired by the King William I, which is part of the king’s chambers in Brussels.
In 1823, he went to Ghent and sculpted capitals, coats of arms, caryatids, busts and decorations at the university palace and at the façade of the auditorium.
In 1828 and 1829, Parmentier worked on the statue of his professor Jacques Cats at Brouwershaven in Holland.
He then became professor at the academy of Ghent. He worked there from 1836 to 1850.
In 1839, he sculpted a monument commemorating Karel Van Hultern in the church of the Augustins at Ghent.
In 1841, he sculpted the bust of the architect Louis Roelandt for the Fine Arts Museum of Ghent.
In 1842, he collaborated with his brother Léopold on the tombs of the canons Joos and Ambrosius Goethals in the St Bavon cathedral in Ghent.
He also created in Ghent two statues of soldiers of the church and two statues of theologians at the Episcopal palace; a Mercury at rest; busts of the professors Kuyskens and Verbeek; the busts of Count Vilain XIV and the canon Triest; the statue ”Abondance” that was created for a country home.
For the church of Furnes, he represented 4 evangelists and a St. Nicolas in marble for the pulpit; a Flora in marble in London; the mausoleum of the bishop Pisani of La Gaude in the St Aubin cathedral at Namur and the monument of Bortheir, in the church of Laeken.
He carried out his role as professor and was member of the Directing Commission of the Royal Fine Arts and Literature Society of Ghent in addition to the Directing Commission of the Academy of Amsterdam.
He died in 1851.
 

Actions sur le document