Outils personnels

Aller au contenu. | Aller à la navigation


Menu de navigation
Vous êtes ici : Accueil / Loisirs / Archives / Tourism / Patrimony / Castels / The Châteaux of the Area

The Châteaux of the Area

The municipality of Seneffe is very rich in châteaux. However, most of them belong to private citizens and are only accessible on rare occasion.
The most famous château, and the only one that belongs to the public domain, is the Château de Seneffe, today restored and converted into the Silver Museum of the French-speaking Community of Belgium. But the others are also worth looking at, both for their architecture and for their gardens.

The Château de Seneffe

Built between 1763 and 1768 by the architect Laurent-Benoît Dewez for Julien Depestre, a newly wealthy business man who became the Count of Seneffe and Turnhout in 1767, this building is a gem that today houses the Silver Museum of the French-speaking Community of Belgium.

The façade of the dwelling, in Neo-Classical style, was built in blue stone that came from Feluy and Ecaussinnes. It is flanked by two long Palladian galleries with ionic columns, which house statues and vases sculpted in the antique style by Laurent Tamine, and lead to a chapel and living quarters, respectively.

The courtyard is closed off by a wrought-iron gate that leans against two pedestals supporting lions sculpted by Dubois.

The small theater, a perfect example of Neo-Palladian architecture of the second half of the 18th century, hosts concerts, plays and exhibits. The orangery, once designed for housing the orange trees that decorated the courtyard and the area surrounding the château in the springtime, now serves as a concert, seminar, conference, and reception hall.

The “three terrace garden” extends from the right-hand gallery to the surrounding wall of the property. The park, laid out partly in the French style and party in the English style, extends over 22 hectares; it includes a large central basin and a pond decorated with a romantic island which can be reached by crossing an arched wrought-iron footbridge.

The Château de La Rocq

This château is located on the bank of the canal on the Arquennes side, hidden in the woods.

From the original ensemble, constructed in 1390 by Wauthier de Bousie, only the square tower that hangs over the porch remains.

The other buildings have been rebuilt in the 16th and 18th centuries.

The château is today a private property, which cannot be accessed except during the many receptions that are organized there. It is, however, possible to see it from the alley (upon authorization) or from the other side of the canal.

The château, which would have been the property of Nicolas Rolin, chancellor of Bourgogne, is surrounded by a moat which reflects the reception halls. Its corps de logis (principal building block) is a harmonious block cut by three bays of latticed windows.

The château of Feluy

The old castle, bordered by its pond and its moat, is the fruit of the work of Eustache de Bousie.

A remarkable rounded porch-tower, once coupled with a draw-bridge and dating back to the 13th century, was constructed at the castle’s entrance; to its left is a fortified castle from the 15th century.

The original structure, of which only the façade corresponding to the old surrounding wall remains, was razed in the 18th century under order of the Countess of Blois, Canoness of Nivelles, and was replaced by the classic residence that stands here today.
The seriousness of the group of buildings is balanced by a loggia that opens to a goose pond and a lovely pier.

The château was restored and renovated in 1940 and also at a more recent time by its current owners.


The Château Trichon

This château is set up as a pleasure residence. On the right wing, you can notice a curious Japanese-style turret, overhung by a weathervane in the shape of a dragon. You can also see the marks of bullets dating back to the Revolution of 1830.

The “Château” Scaron

In fact, this is actually an old monastery, previously occupied by Trappist monks and by Carmelite nuns of Epernay.


The Château de Miremont

Belonging to the Lalieux family, this building was constructed in the 19th century in a style inspired by the Middle Ages and by the Renaissance…
It stands at the end of the village of Feluy in the direction of Ecaussinnes, a little bit to the side and sheltered by foliage.

Le château Scrawelle

Dating back to the middle of the 19th century, the Château de Scrawelle is an eclectic architectural curiosity, with Moorish inspiration.

It includes a park of one and a half hectares, which houses a dendrological* collection started a dozen years ago. Some 600 species or varieties are grouped together, mostly magnolias and firs. American black oaks are also well represented.

Château de Scrawelle,
61 avenue de la Motte Baraffe
7180 - Seneffe
Tel - Fax : 064/54 13 92
Mobile phone : 0476/21 24 23
E-mail : dGRsbWJAc2t5bmV0LmJl
Website : www.parcs-jardins.be/scrawelle/index.html

Days and times open
Individual Visits: from May 1 to October 31, by appointment only.
Groups: from May 1 to October 31, by appointment only. 

The château de Famillereux

This is a modern construction, modified many times.
This registered historical site belonged to the family of the same name.


The château de Buisseret

Fortified in the Middle Ages, the original château has made way for a more modern construction.
In May 1945, a violent fire took away all of the roofing, with the magnificent roof structure and the stairwell. The château was still able to be saved thanks to the devotion of its residents, the firefighters of La Louvière, the Americans and the German prisoners who were present.

*dendrology: the science concerning the systematic botany of trees  

Actions sur le document